Bridging the Generational Gap

SWHS students interview local seniors
Sophomore+students+interview+senior+volunteer%2C+Mrs.+Manzella+during+their+class+field+trip+to+the+community+center.+
Jamie Howe
Sophomore students interview senior volunteer, Mrs. Manzella during their class field trip to the community center.

The sophomore English classes from South Windsor High School went on a field trip to the senior center on March 5th and March 6th. They purpose of this trip was to ask local senior residents about factors that contribute to or impede success. This is part of a project for the sophomore class that culminates in creating a documentary on success in America.

“The purpose was to have our senior citizens meet with our sophomore classes to have them get a different perspective on some topics,” sophomore English teacher and organizer of the event, Mrs. Dahms-Lodge said. 

As a member of Mrs. Dahm-Lodge’s class, sophomore Hamnah Siddiqui was researching how parenting styles can affect people’s success.

“The field trip was good. We got to talk to people with experience and got opinions outside of our own. I went because it would have been a new experience talking to older people that can influence the way I think,” Siddiqui explained. 

Siddiqui believed that it was a good experience overall for both the students and the seniors. Having meaningful conversation and listening to other people’s opinions made Siddiqui’s research topic easier. 

The seniors who were interviewed also found these conversations to be interesting and were able to give students a sounding board for their ideas, offering a different perspective.

“I asked the students about their definition of success, and they believe everyone should have the opportunity to attain their dream,” local South Windsor resident and senior volunteer, Mrs. Carol Manzella said.

Sophomore Ava Natal thought that speaking with the senior citizens made an impact on the question she was asking for her thesis statement.

“My question was, what have you noticed about people in other social classes and their experience in success? They answered my question pretty well. One of them never grew up having social classes,” Natal commented.

Natal thought that interviewing local seniors in her town helped shape an accurate answer to her question and changed her point of view based on the way they worded these answers. 

South Windsor senior volunteer and SW High School student engaged in a friendly push up competition. (Jamie Howe)

The seniors and students got to know each other quite well in the time that they were together. A high school student and senior volunteer even challenged one another to a friendly push up contest during the event.

This was an all around positive experience for everyone involved because everyone learned something new. Appreciating the senior citizens of the South Windsor community is essential because students can learn so much from their experience and wisdom.