Crocheting for the Community

Angelina Cheung
Little stuffed animals crocheted by the members of the club.

Crocheting is a long loved hobby among people in the world, and SWHS has recently made room for a new crochet club. The club is led by Sharon Madda, Angelina Cheung and Ms. Marissa Jardim.

The club aims to teach beginners how to crochet, create a space for crocheting enthusiasts, and crochet items to donate to the South Windsor community. 

Madda, the club president, created the club earlier this year. During her freshman year, she learned how to crochet and has made a few impressive pieces such as a sweater and cardigan. She felt that crocheting was a meaningful skill to share, so that others could create handmade items for themselves and friends. 

“We’re hoping to show people a new skill, something they can do on their own time besides a phone, and help them be more creative,” said Ms. Jardim, advisor of the club. “[We’re] currently looking at community centers and homeless centers, as well as other nonprofits in the area we can donate to.” 

Madda is hard at work getting the club to run smoothly. She regularly meets with Ms. Jardim to work on organizing events, and works on getting support and materials for the club. 

Towards the winter, the club has a goal to crochet hats and scarves to donate to hospitals and shelters.

— Sharon Madda

“As president, I identify what the club needs . . . I organize and schedule the meetings along with the Vice President [and] I also help with teaching beginners how to crochet,” Madda said.

People of all levels at crocheting are encouraged to join the club. Together, Madda and Cheung are aiming to help everyone learn how to crochet by the end of the year. 

As the club continues to meet, they will push towards that goal. At every meeting, members will work on crocheting hats and scarves, all meant to be donated to the community.

Cheung, the vice president, is “excited that a lot of people have come already, even though we just started, and for the projects we are going to do later on.”