Biden Celebrates New CDC Announcement Regarding The End of Masks For the Fully Vaccinated. Is it too Soon?

Katelyn Drenga, Editor

When President Biden spoke to millions of Americans on TV from the Rose Garden announcing the CDC’s new message, the end of mask for the fully vaccinated, he didn’t expect the heavy criticism which would follow. A few weeks before this announcement, CDC spoke about how vaccinated people don’t have to wear masks outdoors. That was hard for a lot to grasp, and for many, this new announcement took things to a new level, “Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance,” the CDC states. 

Joe Biden, Kamala Harris and others celebrated the new announcement on masks outside the Whitehouse by the Rose Garden 5 days ago. Since the start of the Biden presidency, the CDC has been working to renew and restore their reputation and make it stronger. The announcement was a shock for many Americans, as it sort of shifted the scale all over again, bringing a sort of inattention and freedom that many feel is coming too soon, especially since only 37% of the U.S population is fully vaccinated. Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island being among the top states on the list, with almost half being fully vaccinated.

Biden especially has been all about wearing masks, along with staying safe and distanced from others. It is surprising to hear him shift his opinion on the topic, and while he does still believe masks are important, the announcement has come almost too fast, “Go get the shot. It’s never been easier, and once you’re fully vaccinated, you can go without a mask when you’re outside and away from big crowds.” The President said.

The main problem many Americans have with the announcement is that there is no credential or requirement that one needs, to show they are fully vaccinated. During an April briefing CoronaVirus coordinator Jeff Zients, explains this new news with greater depth, “The government is not now, nor will we be supporting a system that requires Americans to carry a credential,  “There’ll be no federal vaccination database [and] no federal mandate requiring everyone to obtain a single vaccination credential.”Zients said.

The no-mask announcement is a matter of trust, which some may not take seriously. This means people who are not vaccinated could lie and say they are vaccinated, not wear a mask, and then get away with it. If people start to do this, then more will become infected with Covid, and the cycle won’t slow.

Lawrence Gostin, a Georgetown University Professor speaks more deeply about this issue, “I think Rochelle Walensky and the CDC, with strong White House support, has regained a lot of their lost trust and reputation,” “But I think this will be a significant erosion of that trust and confidence in the public. Because it looks like the CDC literally did an about face that it lurched from overcaution to abandoning all caution.” Gostin says.

Anthony Fauci, the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious disease shares opinion on the announcement, “Being able to go around without a mask, indoors as well as outdoors, is really a big step in that direction…I wouldn’t want to declare victory prematurely, but I’m saying this is clearly a step in the direction that we want to go.” Fauci remarks. 

Masks will still be needed at large gatherings such as concerts and meetings, but aside from this, the people who are vaccinated don’t really have any other mask requirements. Many will still stay cautious and wear masks, despite the announcement for they feel the controversial topic is too soon. All in all, regarding everyones opinions, the main objective people are trying to reach is normalcy while still keeping everyone safe. The pandemic has been long and grueling, but change is starting to appear, and hope is rising.