Featured Teacher: Ms. Tuxbury

Science+teacher%2C+Ms.+Tuxbury%2C+working+at+her+desk+to+create+and+plan+lessons+for+her+chemistry+classes.+
Hana Moustafa
Science teacher, Ms. Tuxbury, working at her desk to create and plan lessons for her chemistry classes.

From coaching dance to teaching chemistry, Ms. Tuxbury has been wanting to teach since she was a junior in high school. She first found teaching with dance, where she really enjoyed witnessing kids show great change in their minds. As she grew older, Tuxbury wanted to combine both of her passions into one, science and dance.

From a very young age, she always loved seeing teachers do their magic. Junior year is when her own spark was truly lit. Tuxbury had an amazing teacher for chemistry, who really inspired her to be where she is right now.

Chemistry also just made sense in my brain…

— Ms. Tuxbury

I had an awesome teacher for chemistry when I was in high school. Her class was so much fun, and I always looked forward to it. Chemistry also just made sense in my brain, so I was always biased towards it,” said Tuxbury.

Chemistry simply fit, so she pursued what she really wanted to do, leading to where she is right now. Building things, doing chemical reactions, and figuring out how the world works has always been so interesting to her, which led to her favoring the practice over other branches of science. With that knowledge, she also loves seeing her students learn more, and understand more, about the world around them.

“I have always enjoyed it when I have that light bulb go off after I have finally understood something. Seeing that same light bulb go off for my kids when they understand something is awesome. It provokes such a rewarding feeling to overcome a challenge, and that’s why I love teaching science,” Ms. Tuxbury explained when talking to The Prowl.

All of these obviously play in her adoration in seeing her students succeed. Improving certain skills and knowledge is very rewarding, and her students always manage to make her over the moon proud. Projects, such as when freshmen students do the marble launch and the science fair or the multiple projects juniors tackle over the year, are her favorite as she is able to watch the problem solving skills first hand. Hearing their ideas is always awesome because they come up with the most awesome stuff, and she is excited to see what her students will come up with in the future.