Featured Athlete: Emerson Iacovelli

Senior Emerson Iacovelli is having an incredible soccer season. During the game against Platt, Iacovelli scored a hat trick putting the team up 7-0. Iacovelli also scored 2 goals against East Hartford bringing the team 4-0.
Max Preps

Prowl: How would you describe your playing style and what are your greatest strengths on the field?

Iacovelli: I would describe my playing style as one of possession because I like to help build the game through passing and moving until we find the opportunity to score. One of my greatest strengths on the field is being able to work hard for my team to create opportunities for us to score. I also feel that I have a good vision of the field and a good understanding of the game. 

Prowl: What do you think sets soccer apart from other sports?

Iacovelli: Soccer is a sport that is dependent on working as a team. Without a good team dynamic, you can’t be successful throughout the season. I think that trusting your teammates and playing together is something that is really important.

Prowl: How do you balance academics and athletics during soccer season?

Iacoveli: I balance academics and athletics during soccer season by making sure to complete my homework on time and making sure to go to my teachers for any help. I take any chance I can get to manage my time and complete my homework as soon as I get it. 

Prowl: What do you think is the most important quality for a successful soccer team?

Iacovelli: The most important quality for a successful soccer team is dedication because having a team that is committed to win and committed to being good teammates makes playing a lot more fun. 

Prowl: How do you contribute to the team as a player?

Iacovelli: I contribute to the team by working hard to help my team have scoring opportunities. 

Prowl: Why do you enjoy playing soccer, and what motivates you to continue playing at a high level?

Iacovelli: I’ve loved playing soccer since I can remember, and it’s something that has always been a part of my life. Being with a team that is supportive and wants to win motivates me to continue to play in high school. 

Prowl: What or who influenced you for your passion for soccer and your desire to grow in the sport? 

Iacovelli: My family helped grow my passion for soccer because it was something that I was constantly surrounded with growing up, and they pushed me to be competitive in everything I do.

Prowl: Can you talk about a time when you faced a challenge as a soccer player and how you overcame it?

Iacovelli: This year I got an injury right before the season started. I worked hard in physical therapy to be ready for my senior year. 

Prowl: What type of life lessons has soccer taught you? 

Iacovelli: Soccer has taught me that you have to persevere and compete for what you want in life. 

Prowl: What is your favorite part of soccer season?

Iacovelli: My favorite part of soccer season is when we get to compete in the tournament, because it’s fun to compete with schools we don’t usually see in the regular season .

Prowl: What is your plan after high school?

Iacovelli: I plan to play competitive college soccer and pursue a degree in biology.