SWHS’s Bands Playing Through a New Chapter

Maanya Pande
South Windsor High School’s band practices during the school day.

South Windsor High School is renowned for the excellence of their symphonic band and wind ensemble, which consists of woodwinds, brass instruments, and percussion. As the year goes on, the bands are adjusting to their new band teacher, new pieces, and are learning various new skills to better their playing.

Returning member Mihika Joshi, a sophomore flute player and part of the symphonic band, touches on the differences. “Of course I’m still excited about the band, but…the structure will be very different this year…we’re seeing a lot of changes, from the way that the music is selected to the way that we are seated in class.” She mentions that she is excited to be “using more challenging pieces and being able to weigh in with our inputs on which pieces to play.” 

Additionally, the new and upcoming freshmen have been adjusting to their new band environment. Emily Attenello, trumpet player, says that she is “excited to keep playing, especially as a freshman [because] band can open up a lot of different opportunities. All the grades are combined, which is something I’m not used to, [but] it exceeds my expectations.” 

I was in [the] symphonic band [last year] but now I’m in wind ensemble, so it’s harder. I like it better than last year, and I think that [the rest of the year] will be good in terms of playing, maybe a little boring,

— Sophomore trombone player Grace Zeng

Wind ensemble, an auditioned group of students who have worked hard to move from the level of symphonic band to wind ensemble’s more advanced coursework, has also been preparing hard and adjusting to changes. 

South Windsor High School has also been making room for musical activities outside of school. Notably, Jazz band’s 2023-24 season has started up, with everyone being very excited to see where they will go with their various skills. 

As the year goes on, the instrumentalists are excited to see what is in store for them, and they are working hard to prepare for their winter, and first, concert on December 13th.