‘Cats Win CCC East With Win Over Eagles

Coach McDermott gathers with a couple of players at the mound during a pitching change.
Eli Schwartzman

On Monday, May 21, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted the East Catholic Eagles, winning the contest 6-5 and securing their first CCC East title in five years.

Junior Robert Wunsch began the game on the mound for the home squad. The right-handed pitcher got into some early trouble but was able to get out of the inning with only one run surrendered. 

The Bobcats failed to get anything started on the home side of the first, leading Wunsch back to the mound.

East Catholic managed to load the bases with just one out, putting Wunsch’s back against the wall; however, he responded by striking out two straight batters to escape the jam without an Eagle coming in to score.

Junior Justin Dittmar led off the bottom of the second inning with a base hit, which senior Brian Garvey replicated right after. Both runners would then advance to second and third on a wild pitch, before both would score on a double by junior Jake Palombizio.

Senior Andrew Goulet slapped a base hit of his own, putting runners on the corners for fellow senior Ryan Fischer. Fischer lined a ball to right field that was then misplayed by the Eagles’ right fielder, bringing in Goulet and Palombizio and putting Fischer on third base.

The Bobcats brought in two more runs on a wild throw by the East Catholic catcher and an RBI single from Wunsch, ending the inning ahead 5-1.

In the top of the third, Wunsch dominated the batters faced in the inning, keeping the Eagles off the base path to bring the ‘Cats back up to bat.

Garvey and Palombizio both walked to begin the inning. The runners both advanced a base to put two runners in scoring position. Junior Jake Gombotz laid down a perfectly placed bunt to score Garvey, making the score 6-1. 

The fourth inning brought no runs to either team; however, the Eagles would score a run in the fifth. Wunsch’s day on the mound was brought to a close, with Fischer going in to relieve him.

Despite a runner in scoring position in the home fifth, the Bobcats would leave him stranded.

East Catholic would manage to bring two runs in during the sixth, which featured Gombotz coming in out of relief during the inning.

Following another scoreless inning for the Bobcats, East looked like they might pull off a wild comeback. The Eagles found themselves with bases loaded while only down by two. Edwards was called on to close the door but had a pitch get away from Garvey and make it a one run contest.

With the momentum completely shifted, Edwards chucked the ball by two straight batters to put East Catholic down to their final out, but with the tying and go-ahead runs on base. 

The crowd had risen to its feet. Edwards fired a pitch that popped up in the air in no-man’s land behind first base, but Gombotz would race back and make a great catch to snag the win and secure the first CCC east title in five years for the Bobcats.

After falling just shy of the CCC east crown last season, the win feels great for the ‘Cats.

“(We) got the job done against a rival and we’re ready for the CCC tournament,” Goulet said.

Following the game, Wunsch spoke to The Prowl, “The boys fought hard and got the win. We’re CCC east champs and we’re not done yet.”

The Bobcats are now 13-6 and will be back in action later today at 4:00 at home against Maloney in the semifinal of the CCC tournament.