Track runner, senior Serena Thaker getting ready to run her event
Racing to New Heights
Nick Perez, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

With the season coming to a close, anyone can see, when reviewing the girls track team, the stellar season they had in the record books. This...

Coach McDermott gathers with a couple of players at the mound during a pitching change.
‘Cats Win CCC East With Win Over Eagles
Eli Schwartzman, Web Manager • May 21, 2024

On Monday, May 21, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted the East Catholic Eagles, winning the contest 6-5 and securing their first...

SW Bobcat seniors talking pregame before taking on RHAM for senior night.
Bobcats Attack the CCC Tournament
Alec Dziuba and Luke TaylorMay 21, 2024

The boys will arrive at RHAM high school today at 4pm for a rematch versus RHAM, after not winning the matchup when the played them during the...

Girls tennis gives a pep talk before a home match.
On the Way to a Victory!
Jaelyn Salas, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

The South Windsor girls tennis team has had a great season this year with a record of 13-1 and are expected to do well in the upcoming CCC conference...

Thunder Strikes in Rec Basketball Championship

The Thunder players pose with their trophies after winning the championship.
Eoin Gately

With the rec season coming to a close, it was a great year and lots of great games in the playoffs.  Let’s not forget upsets like the 4 seed Mavericks lead by seniors Andrew Goulet and Gabe Reagan. With the absence of senior Ollie Durbois, the 1 seed Warriors had a heartbreaking loss getting upset by the Mavs. 

On the other side of the bracket,  it was the 2 seed Thunder, lead by seniors Aidan Walsh and Rayan Zaki, playing against the 3 seed Lakers, lead by seniors Eoin Gatley and Alex Ezedine. The game came down to the wire, but the Thunder came out on top with a two point win.

The championship game was the number 4 seed Mavs versus the 2 seed Thunder and was not a disappointment. Walsh led the Thunder in scoring and Zaki was a great leader to ultimately get the win for the Thunder. 

“The season was definitely shaky, but we came away with some good basketball. Ollie was never even close,” senior Rayan Zaki said.

We had a lot of fun this year and finishing like that was great.

— Senior Aiden Walsh

“We had a lot of fun this year and finishing like that was great. Everyone was putting in full effort in the playoffs, and it was really fun to compete like that,” senior Aidan Walsh commented.

One of the most fun teams to keep up with was the Kings, lead by senior Rehan Shaikhunday.

The team had their own Instagram account where they posted weekly updates of how their team was doing.

With many new juniors and seniors joining the league this year, the competition was at an all time high with the result of almost all of the games being competitive and entertaining. Some new players with successful years were Durbois and seniors Zach Bossie, Mitch Chaves and junior Jake Pflederer.

Overall, it was a great year for rec basketball and as competitive as ever. With many new players and many returning players, it was a great last season for the seniors and juniors who participated.