Madness of the Mammals

A student fills in their bracket in preparation for MMM.
Adam Albaghdadi

March Mammal Madness is an annual educational event held every March. It is a global event where people around the world predict fictional battles between different mammals, and other animals, in a bracket-style format. 

MMM was initially founded by Dr. Katie Hinde, an evolutionary biologist at Arizona State University. It began as an educational event held on Twitter in 2013 and has since grown into a worldwide educational spectacle that various schools compete in. 

Each March, a new bracket is created, featuring 64 mammal species ranging from lions and elephants, mole-rats and moths and everything in between. These species are pitted against each other in fake combat scenarios, where outcomes are determined by scientific research and some creative imagination. 

The goal is for participants to learn more about new and unique animals during their time participating in the event. An instructional website is provided to all students looking to participate as well. During March Mammal Madness the Rodent Roundtable YouTube channel covers updates and posts the results of each matchup.

When March rolls around, the anticipation and predictions start to build up, and students and teachers get their brackets ready. 

“I think the sperm whale is going to win it all because they’re the strongest animal out there, and nothing can take them down because they have thick skin,” sophomore Evan Dunn told The Prowl.

Many SWHS students have varying predictions on who they think will take home the win in the end. 

“I believe the northern elephant seal will win because they can survive in water and on land, and they also eat larger fish and sharks,” sophomore Aiden Saada explained.

March mammal madness is beneficial to students because they get a chance to learn about our living world and organisms that they may have never heard of before

— Mrs. Davies

Even SWHS biology teachers are enjoying the MMM season sharing different opinions about the upcoming tournament. 

“March Mammal Madness is beneficial to students because they get a chance to learn about our living world and organisms that they may have never heard of before,” biology teacher Mrs. Davies said.

So far, the only known result has been the Sparklemuffin Peacock Spider beating out the Rainbow Grasshopper in the wild card round.

“I enjoy March Mammal Madness; I think it’s cute and fun, and you can learn about new animals that you never heard of before. It’s a nice way to let students have fun and have a break,” SWHS instructional coach Mrs. Belval commented. 

No matter which mammal wins, SWHS students are excited with anticipation to see who the MMM champion will be this year.