Hi-YAH

The debate on whether or not SWHS should start a karate club.

Shamyla+Milner

Shamyla Milner

Shamyla Milner, Staff Writer

All of the clubs and activities South Windsor High School offers are inspiring. There are a wide variety of sports, and many students continue with these after high school. However, there is one activity that SWHS does not offer. Students have been petitioning for a karate club. There are many positive components to this club addition. Not only could it help students release some pent-up stressful energy that they have, but this could be an escape for some students. This disciplined practice might also help students figure out what they want to do after high school. 

Some people don’t find an interest in team sports like football, soccer, basketball, etc. This would give them more of a way to get the same joy that other students get from playing their sports or doing the clubs that they’re interested in. If safely taught and monitored, the addition of a karate club could be something that is fun and people would enjoy and join.

Karate club could very well be a way to let off some energy for students, but it could also be a way for students to learn how to defend themselves. This would be especially beneficial for young women who might have to walk to work or school by themselves. If they had some self-defense strategies and confidence from a practice such as such as karate, this would help them feel safer all around.