A Night to Remember: SWFTLK Annual Volleyball Marathon

Team Free Fallin prepares for the horn to sound and their match to begin.
Avery Yelle
Team ‘Free Fallin’ prepares for the horn to sound and their match to begin.

The annual Volleyball Marathon took place on February 9th, hosted by South Windsor For the Local Kids (SWFTLK), where 16 teams battled for the grand prize.  

Each team was made up of 6-10 players, one of which is the designated team captain. The participating teams choose a team name, as well as a team costume. All participants paid $10 for their spot on the team with all funds going to the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, where it is used to support children battling illnesses. 

SWFTLK is a club run by senior Sarah Stoddard, junior Sophia Ghagare, and senior Fatima Tamanna. Their goal is to raise money for the children at the Connecticut Children’s Hospital by hosting events such as the volleyball marathon and the dance marathon, an event that will occur later in the year. They also host fundraisers at restaurants such as Frank Pepe Pizzeria, Panera Bread, and Shake Shack.

The tournament was held in the South Windsor High School gym and ran from 7-10 pm, where each team fought for the title of the winning team. 

Some of the competitors and their costumes were the ‘Onesie Killas’ donning their comfy onesies, ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ who were wearing green with a turtle shell on their back, and ‘The Kings’ appearing all in Burger King crowns. 

After a long night of fun competition the team finishing as champions of the night was the 2020 Montverde. 

The grand prize was later revealed to be a $200 gift card to Buckland Pizza. 

“It’s a fun time to hang out with my friends, and I love supporting South Windsor for The Local kids,” explained senior Kaitlin Hardy, a team captain for one of the teams. “I encouraged my teammates and motivated them.” 

“The night went really well, it looked like everyone had a lot of fun”, SWFTLK club advisor Ms. Whitmore said.