South Windsor’s Teen Center

The South Windsor Teen Center’s staff, who all work hard to support the center.
Emily Porter

This January marks the 36th year that the South Windsor Teen Center has been open as a safe and accessible space for teens. Located in the Charles N. Enes Community Center, it has various events that engage students, and even hosts South Windsor’s Youth Council Group. Led by Jane Lovett, the teen center invites both middle and high school students to gather and spend time together. 

As the teen center aims to be an engaging space for students, it has various activities that teens can enjoy. They can spend their time playing board games, skee ball, pool, ping pong, and other games. Additionally, the teen center offers Wi-Fi and a lounge area with movies and snacks. 

“The teen center is a really fun place, with a pretty fun atmosphere as well. Hanging out with my friends there was fun, and so was playing games and talking to people,” Harini Sambandam, an SWHS sophomore, explained. 

South Windsor’s Youth Council Group also meets at the teen center. The Youth Council, made up of teens in South Windsor, is a volunteering group. They aim to help the community, raise money through fundraisers and plan events that interest their peers. Working together, the group helps make the teen center successful. 

The South Windsor Teen Center’s events for the month of January.
(Emily Porter)

Jane Lovett, the new Teen Center Coordinator, has spent many years working with the center. She has worked with high school students returning bottles to help raise funds for the teen center, helped organize the food shelter, and has joined in many activities in the past. 

“I always found the Teen Center to be a positive place for students to drop in and have somewhere they call their own,” Lovett told The Prowl. “The staff here have always been inviting and helpful and you can tell they really enjoy their job.”

I always found the Teen Center to be a positive place for students to drop in and have somewhere they call their own.

— Jane Lovett

Every Tuesday and Friday, TEMS students are allowed to stop by from 3:00-6:00 PM. Whereas High School students are invited to come Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays until 4:30 PM. For both schools, late buses are offered to send students home. 

“I would encourage anyone who hasn’t been here to come down and check us out. We have plenty to offer and would love new students to bring their ideas as well,” Lovett stated. “It definitely is a place where teens can be heard and appreciated. Together we make a difference which is very rewarding.”

The Teen Center has a strong focus on spreading mental health awareness, substance prevention, and protecting South Windsor’s teens. Ultimately, they aim to create a safe space for teens to simply enjoy themselves and relax.