Alumni Spotlight: Zeby Khan

SWHS alumni, Zeby Khan, sat down with The Prowl to discuss his career as an actor post-graduation.
Entertainment+star%2C+Zeby+Khan+posing+for+a+head+shot+to+promote+his+upcoming+work.+
Joe Chea
Entertainment star, Zeby Khan posing for a head shot to promote his upcoming work.

As a cold breeze blew through the hills of South Windsor, a warm face lit up the computer screen, all the way from New York. Sitting on the Zoom call was Zeby Khan, an actor and South Windsor High School alumni, excited to tell The Prowl about his exhilarating and envy inducing career.

Zeby began the conversation by discussing his time in South Windsor, time that would help shape him and convince him to follow his dreams. “I think the environment fostered my love for acting and pushed me into considering it more seriously as a career for me,” Zeby said of South Windsor. “There were so many amazing teachers who pushed me, and without them, I would not be where I am today.”

After graduating from SWHS, Zeby attended the University of Connecticut for a while, but eventually decided to make the move to New York in an effort to land the opportunity of a lifetime. 

I think the environment fostered my love for acting and pushed me into considering it more seriously as a career for me

— Zeby Khan

It was during his time in New York that Zeby began to do the networking necessary to become an actor, finding his best assistance from his then roommate who was a cinematographer. New York, to Zeby, was an entertainment capital, the place where he could realize his biggest dreams and find the greatest chances. Slowly, he made his way up and through the acting world, part by part. 

It wasn’t all smooth sailing, though. Zeby, a Pakistani American, found that navigating the world of American entertainment was not easy. A lack of natural diversity or demand for Desi representation created a disadvantage in his early career. Zeby, however, was determined to make it no matter what, and struggled through the challenges that he found. As a result of his work, and changes to the wider world, he does believe that he has made a difference in the entertainment community. 

Regarding this, Zeby explained that “there’s definitely been a change in the atmosphere and in the kinds of auditions I get. … there are more opportunities that aren’t riddled with stereotypes”. 

Today, Zeby is most known for his work on a variety of popular  TV shows, including FBI: Most Wanted and The Crowded Room. He also recently shot an episode of Law & Order, and the new A24 movie, BabyGirl. Throughout his experience acting on a plethora of different projects, Zeby has had the opportunity to work with a diverse range of actors, each of whom teaching something new about the world of acting or entertainment.

When asked about the individuals who he’s had the pleasure of working with, Zeby explained, “sometimes I can’t even believe where I am and who I’m working with. I’m very honored for this community I get to share with these actors.” 

As Zeby continues to climb up the entertainment world, be sure to keep an eye out for his latest upcoming project Fallout, which will be released on Amazon Prime in April of 2024, as well many incredible future works. 

View Comments (1)