The Inklings of SWHS’s Literary Magazine

Sharon Madda
The set up of the coffee house on Friday, where students presented their work.

Creative expression has always been encouraged at SWHS, especially in the Mind’s Eye literary magazine. Mind’s Eye is a student-run magazine that publishes student artwork and creative writing every school year. The club members select work submitted to the club by students, put it together, and release the magazine at the end of the year.

“The club has been running for a really long time, long before I started helping,” said Mrs. Flachsbart, the lead advisor.

The club has been running for a really long time, long before I started helping.

— Mrs. Flachsbart

It has been running for over 20 years, and Mrs. Flachsbart has been overseeing the club for six years now. 

On Friday, the club had their first coffee house of the year. Coffee houses have been a tradition in the club’s history for a long time. These events are where students gather together and share creative works with each other. Students can share a variety of things, ranging from poetry, art, even music. 

“It was really fun! . . . people put up decorations and rearranged the furniture, and they had a signup sheet for people who wanted to share. There was a lot of poetry, art, and essays,” said Sharon Madda, a club member who shared a piece at the Friday coffeehouse.

It was really fun! . . . people put up decorations and rearranged the furniture, and they had a signup sheet for people who wanted to share. There was a lot of poetry, art, and essays.

— Sharon Madda

Drinks and snacks were served as well, and everyone who attended had a phenomenal time. 

Every year, the club organizes events and contests in order to gather submissions for the magazine. 

“Right now we are trying to promote a writing contest, [and] the due date will be sometime in December. [Students] can take the writing in any direction, whether it is fictional, a poem, [or] even a personal essay,” said Mrs. Flachsbart. 

In the spring, they are planning for an art contest as well. 

All in all, Mind’s eye has kicked off the year strong, with their first coffee house being a success. The club will continue to gain momentum as they gather submissions through contests. The magazine is open to submissions anytime, and is excited to see what creative work they will receive this year.