The New Age of Hip Hop

Jackson Buccigross, Contributor

Saying that hip hop isn’t the same as it was ten years ago is a massive understatement. The way songs are written and the style that new artists choose to produce them is one that is much different than the way hip hop used to be produced. Today’s hip hop is more of  big beats and drops rather than songs of the past were a little more mellow and relaxed.

Tupac and The Notorious B.I.G. are known to be the greats of the hip hop genre. The way they created the path for not only today’s up and coming rappers but also those who followed in the footsteps of these greats in years past. They focused more on lyrics and really tried to tell a story in their music and tried to get a message across to the listener.

This is sometimes not the case in today’s rappers. They may be looking for big beats and focusing on making the beat and melody more than focusing on the lyrics. This can be a good and a bad thing. It can be a good thing because having a really good beat in a song is something that is always enjoyable and memorable for the listener. This can also be a bad thing today because lyrics are one of the most important aspects of a song. If they’re neglected for the beat, the song may sound good, but having well-thought lyrics is very important when producing quality music.

Quality music is something that is appreciated by all, not only hip hop fans. Some believe that lyrics are more important than the beat, and vice versa. This debate has been going on since Tupac and B.I.G. were in their primes. Both are vital aspects in creating a high quality song.

Hip hop has influenced the lives of so many people since its birth. It has given people a level of joy and appreciation that could never be repaid. To some, hip hop is not just a type of music, it’s a lifestyle.