The Bobcats Start Their Stroll to the Batter’s Box

Aasrith Veerapaneni

The South Windsor High School Varsity Baseball field, standing at the ready for the upcoming season.

As we round into February, and the second semester of schooling, many eyes start to look forward to spring sports. The heavy hitter of the spring season is our beloved baseball team. After a couple of down years in the program, Coach McDermott is optimistic for the season at hand. The retired PE coach, who has over 30 years of coaching experience under his belt, and nearly a decade of that with the Bobcats, discussed the upcoming season with me.

We have a very strong senior class coming in this year, some real strong, and talented players

— Coach Mike McDermott

,” McDermott said reviewing his notes. “Plus, a good younger group. The team has been maturing and has a real chance this year.”  

The fundamentalist coach has plenty of winning experience behind him. His first coaching job was for the East Hartford High School Hornets in the 1995-96 season, where he led his team to the state championship immediately. Valuing consistency and effort gives him a competitive edge. The true secret to his winning ways is the love for the game. Even after three decades of coaching, his undying love for the game remains just that, undying. “It’s important to have fun with the game, while also stressing the fundamentals” is his adopted proverb, and an adage that he stands by.

With all that, hopes continue to remain high. “The end goal this year is to have a strong season, followed up by hopefully making a good dent in the state tournament,” McDermott stressed. And, whatever run may occur, the Bobcat Prowl will be on top of it. As tryouts and practices will kick off in around a month, the seedlings of an amazing season seem to be slowly put into the ground.  

If you’re interested in our South Windsor High School Bobcats Baseball team, keep your eyes out for the running story that will be published when the season starts. Holding weekly updates, it is the go to stop for all things Bobcat Baseball.