Should homework be given out?

Picture from 13NEWS

Picture from 13NEWS

Most people know that homework is annoying especially after a long school day. According to a study by Stanford, “students in high-achieving communities who spend too much time on homework experience more stress, physical health problems, a lack of balance and even alienation from society.” Homework reduces the amount of time that children could be spending with their families. Family time is especially important to a growing child, and without it, social problems can crop up and a family unit can be compromised by a lack of time being spent together.

Children and teens also need time to relax and take their minds off work. The pressure of having to complete homework every night is quite daunting for most children, and they need time to refresh their minds and bodies.

Homework can cause conflict between children and parents when the parent wants the child to do their homework but meets resistance from the student to do an overwhelming task. Homework doesn’t just play a role in the students mental health but also in the parents´. Having a child or teen who fights to do homework, could put a lot of stress on the parent.

Too much homework can encourage cheating because children end up copying off one another in an attempt to finish all their assignments. They then end up being rewarded for cheating which doesn’t benefit them at all. This also develops bad habits with the students which could lead to poor assessment grades and overall unfavorable grades.