Stranger Things Issues New Trigger Warning in the Season 4 Premier

Emily Osit, Editor

May 27th, Stranger Things 4 came out on Netflix. After a very long wait, the 7-episode season is filled with humor, mystery, suspense, and of course, gore. Many viewers described this season as “the scariest.”

Clicking on the first episode titled, “The Hellfire Club” you may have noticed a warning. The warning read, “We filmed this season of Stranger Things a year ago. But given the recent tragic shooting at a school in Texas, viewers may find the opening scene of episode one distressing. We are deeply saddened by this unspeakable violence, and our hearts go out to every family mourning a loved one.”

The episode started pretty disturbing, where *spoiler alert* the character Eleven, played by Millie Bobby Brown, murdered her fellow test subjects in the Hawkins Labratory. One may say that the scene was similar to a school shooting, because the test subjects were children. Although the Hawkins Laboratory acted as a prison for the test subjects, it was also a schooling environment for them.  However, rather than committing the crime with a AR-15, Eleven used her telepathic powers.

A Netflix spokesperson told The Guardian,We decided to add the card given the proximity of the premiere to this tragedy-and because the opening scene is very graphic.” 

Pending the recent tragedy at the Robb Elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, many other shows and movies have adapted to the gun violence issue. There was a delay in the release of TV movie “The Bad Seed Returns”, about a murderous high school student. Along with this, CBS pulled the season finale of procedural drama “FBI”, originally scheduled to air that evening. 

Similar to the premier of Stranger Things 4, the series premiere of “Obi-Wan Kenobi” also opens on a massacre scene, including the message: “Although this fictional series is a continuation of the story from Star Wars movies filmed many years ago, some scenes may be upsetting to viewers in light of the recent tragic events.”

Although it very important for shows and movies to adapt to the world around them, are these warnings really helpful?