SWHS presents; Roald Dahl’s ‘Willy Wonka’- a ray of hope during COVID times

SWHS presents; Roald Dahls Willy Wonka- a ray of hope during COVID times

Amritha Suresh, Editor

On November 14th, a wild, rich, and eccentric man with a top hat will be paying a visit to South Windsor High School. 

In celebration of the 5-th anniversary of the 1971 “Willy Wonka” movie, the South Windsor High School theater club is putting together a production of Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka. 

The play is about a young, poor boy named Charlie Bucket, who lives in an unnamed town. In his town lives a world renowned chocolatier, by the name of Willy Wonka.

As Wonka gets older, he realizes that he needs an heir/ heiress worthy of taking over his beloved empire. So, he places 5 golden tickets in candy bars for 5 lucky kids to find, and as the play goes on, he tries to pinpoint which one of the 5 is the most fit to become his beneficiary. 

The play follows the 5 kids and their strange, but nonetheless hilarious, experience in his factory. 

The play is going to be a very grand production. Adam Tortorello, the musicals director, says, “we’re going all out with the set and costumes and crazy dancing and fun singing, so it’s a lot of fun.”

This musical is especially exciting because it is the first one the school has been able to put on since COVID. Necessary precautions are being taken, and Mr. Tortorello has actually ordered clear face coverings, so that the actors don’t have to sing through cloth, and because a lot of acting is in the face. 

This play is not only fun, it’s a ray of hope after a year of being quarantined. To finally be able to sit in an auditorium again, to experience something like this. 

This play in particular is very funny, entertaining and timeless; primarily because of Willy Wonka’s flamboyant nature. Dylian Erwin, the play’s Wonka, says, “A lot of people know the story of Willy Wonka, so I’m excited to try it, but one of the hard parts is that it’s such a well known character- I want to do it justice.”

“Anyone thinking about coming out to watch the play definitely should. It’s a really fun show, its well known, if they wanna watch the movie first that would be exciting, but you an also come into it with no knowing, the show will explain it and it’s gonna be really entertaining.”