Chaimo’s Mock Draft 2020 2.0: Saints Fall in Love, 17 SEC Players, and Jacksonville Makes Huge Trade

Source: Bleacher Report

Source: Bleacher Report

Jacob Chaimovitch, Editor

With the 2020 NFL Draft becoming more and more in focus and the landscape of the picks more locked in entering the draft, it’s fitting that I update my NFL Mock Draft so it’s up to date and tweaked a little to how I see fit. I looked at some other Mock Drafts by ESPN, CBS Sports, and 24/7 Sports for a little bit of inspiration for my second mock draft. Some picks are obvious, others aren’t as much. Here we go.

Cincinnati Bengals: QB Joe Burrow, LSU

There has never been more of a lock at pick number one than this year’s draft. Cincinnati is in dire need of a QB and Joe Burrow is a scheme fit AND just so happened to have the best college season out of any quarterback in the history of college football. If Cincy does not get Burrow, the fans will riot and it won’t be pretty.

Jacksonville Jaguars (via WSH): EDGE Chase Young, Ohio State

Ok. Take a deep breath and hear me out. DE Yannick Ngakoue is incredibly unhappy in Jacksonville and has been on the trade block for the last few months. The Jags have gone full rebuild mode with the trades of Nick Foles and Jalen Ramsey getting them picks and making them younger. They strike a trade with Washington, giving them Ngakoue, their first and second-rounder this year, and a first-rounder next year. From Washington, they receive a second-rounder next year and the second overall pick. With that pick, they get a younger – and maybe better – version of Ngakoue in Chase Young. Jacksonville gets their D-Line piece to build around and become Sacksonville again.

Detroit Lions: CB Jeffrey Okudah, Ohio State

With Darius Slay gone to Philadelphia, there is an obvious need at cornerback. The Lions likely won’t risk a trade back to draft the replacement. Jeffrey Okudah was a dynamic playmaker and lockdown defender as part of the Buckeyes and will fit well with Matt Patricia’s defensive philosophy.

New York Giants: LB Isaiah Simmons, Clemson

The need at both linebacker and offensive line are present for the Giants at the 4th overall pick. The Darius Slay trade opens the possibility for Simmons to slide to the Giants. There is plenty of depth and names in the second round for the Giants to pick an O-Lineman. This opens the door for the swiss-army knife defender Simmons to be scooped up by the G-Men and likely replace one of either Oshane Ximines or Lorenzo Carter.

Miami Dolphins: QB Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama

It is becoming more and more apparent that Tua is going to be the man under center for the Dolphins next season. Put side by side with the other QB in the conversation, Justin Herbert, Tagovailoa is described by experts to have more mobility and lateral quickness while Herbert has better arm strength and has more prowess physically. I don’t think Miami risks dealing some of their picks to move up and grab their QB then. Tua goes to Miami with pick number five, which means that with pick number six…

Los Angeles Chargers: QB Justin Herbert, Oregon

…the Chargers get their next gunslinger quarterback in Justin Herbert. His size and athleticism make him a perfect fit for LA for years to come. Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Hunter Henry will be on the receiving end of some of the hottest throws from a college arm in recent history. With Philip Rivers moving on to Indianapolis, the Chargers get a QB that they can build their offensive future around.

Carolina Panthers: DT Derrick Brown, Auburn

With the Matt Rhule era being ushered into Carolina, the Panthers have moved back into a 4-3 defensive scheme. The Panthers were absolutely atrocious against the run last year, allowing 31 rushing TDs and ranking last in rushing yards allowed. The 6’5”, 318-pound behemoth of a man in Derrick Brown will provide just that for the Panthers and he will add an instant jolt to a Panthers defense that desperately needs it.

Arizona Cardinals: OT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa

The need for a left tackle is obvious here and it boils down to Tristan Wirfs, Mekhi Becton, or Andrew Thomas. WIth Becton being a natural right tackle and Wirfs having the better season and combine than Thomas, the answer for the Cards is clear. Kyler Murray’s blind spot will be in good hands with the massive lineman protecting him.

Washington Redskins (via JAX): OT Mekhi Becton, Louisville

The Redskins picked up the edge help they needed about an hour prior to this pick being made in the deal they made with Jacksonville that sent Yannick Ngakoue and this pick to them (among other picks) in exchange for their first-round pick and a second next year. With their new pick, the Redskins grab some help on the O-Line with a mammoth in Mekhi Becton out of Louisville. No one else of need is available for the Skins, so they grab their lineman.

Cleveland Browns: OT Jedrick Wills Jr., Alabama

A toss-up between Wills and Andrew Thomas here for the Cleveland Browns. Baker Mayfield needs his left tackle badly. I’m going with Wills to the Browns purely because he had the better combine numbers and looked better for Bama than Andrew Thomas did for Georgia. Wills is very agile for his size, similar to Becton. He has the footwork and speed that Thomas lacks as well.

New York Jets: WR Henry Ruggs III, Alabama

Ruggs is fast. Crazy fast. His only true downside is his physicality, but who needs physical presence when you can just run by everybody. He should be the lethal weapon the Jets have been waiting on for their QB to throw to and it’ll be very hard to pass on him. Sam Darnold, Le’Veon Bell, and now Henry Ruggs III will all be suiting up for the green and white.

Las Vegas Raiders: WR Jerry Jeudy, Alabama

It’s kind of ironic that Jerry Jeudy is being compared to former Raiders WR Amari Cooper, isn’t it? Anyways, with Marcus Mariota being scooped up in Free Agency by the black and silver, the need for QB is no longer present. Jay Gruden gets to handpick his offensive weapon and goes with the elusive route runner from Alabama because his original WR pick, Henry Ruggs III, is off the board.

San Fransisco 49ers: CB CJ Henderson, Florida

This pick originally belonged to the Indianapolis Colts. During the offseason, they traded this pick and only this pick for Niners DT DeForest Buckner. Now, the Niners own the 13th overall pick and use it to bolster their secondary. With the right guidance by veteran corner Richard Sherman, Gator corner CJ Henderson can be the elite 1st string cornerback of the future. Henderson is incredibly quick and elusive; he played some running back in high school and it shows in his man coverage skills.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia

With Tampa Bay picking up arguably the biggest name in free agency, the goal in the draft is to protect TB12. Andrew Thoma falls into the lap of the Bucs and will provide a quick boost to an O-Line that needs an upgrade anyway. Thomas has immense power on the left and right side of the line and could really be placed on either side effectively.

Denver Broncos: WR CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma

With QB Drew Lock being presented as the future moving forward, it’s time to surround him with offensive weapons. Some already existed in Noah Fant and Phillip Lindsey, Others were picked up during Free Agency in Melvin Gordon III. Now, the WR threat is nabbed in the form of CeeDee Lamb. He has incredible hands and will prove to be useful in the new age offense at Mile High.

Atlanta Falcons: DL Javon Kinlaw, South Carolina

Kinlaw, like Derrick Brown, is a monster on the D-Line and will provide a boost to a Falcons team that desperately needs a big name on their defensive line. Atlanta desperately needs a cornerback as well, but it will likely be too much of a reach to grab someone like Kristian Fulton or Jeff Gladney, especially with Javon Kinlaw available at their pick in the first round. With corner options available as the draft goes on, Atlanta settles with the power rusher out of South Carolina.

Dallas Cowboys: S Xavier McKinney, Alabama

The same issue is present for the Dallas Cowboys. The need at corner is crucial heading into this pick for Jerry Jones and company. However, like the Falcons, the Cowboys likely won’t reach. Edge rusher K’Lavon Chaisson is also available here, but a 2018 ACL tear causes concerns and the Cowboys end up grabbing a very versatile safety in Xavier McKinney, which is also a need for them. McKinney was able to play anywhere for Nick Saban the last two years and he will look to excel on America’s Team.

Miami Dolphins: OT Josh Jones, Houston

With Tua drafted a few hours before, the Dolphins now work to build around him. They start with guarding Tua’s blind spot. Since Tua is a lefty, this would technically be the right tackle position. That being said, the athletic and physical Josh Jones should slide in nicely for Miami. He blocked well for Houston at left tackle for most of his career at college, but could likely play right tackle if asked to.

Las Vegas Raiders: S Grant Delpit, LSU

With the need at WR taken care of, the Raiders look to upgrade the defense with Grant Delpit. Compared to Eric Berry, Delpit is a unique coverage man with quick feet and a knack for the game. His lack of over-the-top tackling skills can be improved upon as he develops, but the Raiders address a need on defense and can sculpt Delpit into the guy they want him to be.

New Orleans Saints (via JAX): QB Jordan Love, Utah State

With nothing of need until later in the draft for Jacksonville, the Jags opt to make their second trade of the night. This time, they deal with the New Orleans Saints. They’ll get the Saints’ first and second-rounder this year to allow them to pick at 20 and leapfrog another team possibly looking for a QB in the Patriots. With Drew Brees aging and Teddy Bridgewater signed with Carolina, the Saints grab the fourth QB in the draft: Jordan Love. With great arm strength and vision, his only true downside is his decision making. That’s where the veteran leadership of Drew Brees comes into play. Don’t be shocked if the Saints trade up to get their guy of the future.

Philadelphia Eagles: WR Justin Jefferson, LSU

With Alshon Jeffrey and DeSean Jackson aging quickly, the Eagles need receiver help fast. Justin Jefferson provides just that and could be in the conversation of number one receiver if Alshon Jeffrey regresses faster than expected. Jefferson has excellent hands and catching ability, making him the perfect target for Carson Wentz. While the need at running back is also there with D’Andre Swift available, Jefferson is too dynamic and necessary for Philly to pass on him.

Minnesota Vikings: EDGE K’Lavon Chaisson, LSU

Minnesota is in an interesting spot at the 22nd pick. With this pick thanks to the Stefon Diggs trade and another selection three picks later, the Vikings can bank on a cornerback being available in a little bit and grab a guy they didn’t expect to slide and don’t expect to slide further. K’Lavon Chaisson is disruptive and quite the handful for linemen to deal with. His quickness and explosiveness off the line are matched by few and he was part of the dynamic defense that won a national championship last year.

New England Patriots: WR Denzel Mims, Baylor

With both Love and Chaisson gone before them, the Brady-less New England Patriots look to give N’Keal Harry a costar in Denzel Mims. He can catch the football from just about anywhere in relation to him and provides an interesting comparison in Kenny Golladay. Route running is a must-fix, but it’s nothing Belichick cannot handle. After all, he turned a sixth-round pick into a six-time champion.

Jacksonville Jaguars (via NO): CB Kristian Fulton, LSU

Jacksonville’s second pick in this round sees them bolster the secondary after infusing the D-Line. They grab a very good, shutdown, man coverage corner in Kristian Fulton. He can stick with any receiver in the league right now and doesn’t need much time to develop as a superstar. Jacksonville gets their next AJ Bouye. Literally. That is his pro comparison, after all.

Minnesota Vikings: CB Jeff Gladney, TCU

The Vikings were likely hoping the Jags pick someone other than their guy right ahead of them. However, Jeff Gladney out of TCU isn’t a bad compensary pick for them. While his wingspan isn’t used well, he has quick feet and phenomenal man coverage skills to get him where he needs to be on defense anyways. Minnesota addresses a big need with their second pick.

Miami Dolphins: EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State

The Dolphins pass on any of the three available running backs, ensuring trust in Kalen Ballage as their running back of the future. Miami goes with the explosive edge rusher out of Penn State in Yetur Gross-Matos to get the to the QB for them. He’ll look to torment the likes of Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Jarrett Stidham (still won’t get used to that name for New England).

Seattle Seahawks: OT Isaiah Wilson, Georgia

More of an insurance pick than anything else, Isaiah Wilson will provide a boost to a Seattle O-Line with the simple task of giving Russell Wilson enough time to find his man under center. His massive size will prove to be effective against rushers like Nick Bosa and Aaron Donald, who he will face twice a year each.

Baltimore Ravens: LB Patrick Queen, LSU

The outside linebackers are locked up well enough for the Baltimore Ravens, but they need someone on the inside. Queen lined up on the inside for most of last season for the Tigers and played really well. His football IQ is insane; Queen really has a knack for the game. how it’s played and how QBs think, and, most importantly, how to disrupt the game. While his physicality lacks, he can still be an instant starter for the Ravens on the inside.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (via TEN): RB JK Dobbins, Ohio State

Tampa Bay trades back into the first round in a deal with Tennessee. Tampa’s second this year and third next year get dealt to the Titans in order for the Bucs to grab their running back of the immediate future: power back JK Dobbins. He has exceptional vision and can find the right holes to burst through. He isn’t the best pass catcher, but that’s what Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and OJ Howard are for. He and Ronald Jones II become a lethal one-two in the backfield.

Green Bay Packers: CB Jaylon Johnson, Utah

The Cheeseheads need a cornerback and look to Jaylon Johnson to fix their need. He’s a great man coverage corner and is physically imposing at 6-foot, 190 pounds. His ability to stick to the hip of any receiver is impeccable and he’ll look to line up with an aged secondary that needs some youth badly.

San Fransisco 49ers: C Cesar Ruiz, Michigan

Ruiz has great mobility and can be placed almost anywhere on the offensive line. At 6’4”, 319 pounds, he has crazy power and can stand toe-to-toe with plenty of pass rushers easily. He should start right away for the Niners and will protect Jimmy Garoppolo for the season from the likes of Aaron Donald and Chandler Jones.

Kansas City Chiefs: RB D’Andre Swift, Georgia

Patrick Mahomes loves throwing the ball. Luckily, there’s a running back available that loves to catch the ball just as much. With the last pick of the first round, the Chiefs grad D’Andre Swift and his catch-and-run skills. He teams up with Damien Williams with the defending Super Bowl Champions.

So there you have it. A redo of the thirty-two picks in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft, which will now be held virtually due to complications with COVID-19. Either way, the show must go on. Be sure to tune into the NFL Draft on Thursday, April 23rd at 8:00 pm EST on ABC, ESPN, and the NFL Network.