Tennis Pros Forced into Isolation due to COVID-19

Women's tennis superstar Serena Williams in a red tutu during quarantine
Source: essentiallysports.com

Women's tennis superstar Serena Williams in a red tutu during quarantine Source: essentiallysports.com

Caitlin Sze

As a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, both WTA and ATP tennis pros have been ordered to stay home and quarantine until further notice. The ATP Tour has been suspended until June 7. 

Many tennis players have decided to join the bandwagon and download TikTok, where they are posting videos of what they are doing to pass time, and daily home workouts as well. Serena Williams posted a video of her and what she had been doing during her time at home, telling her fans that she wasn’t expecting so many big tournaments to be canceled. In addition to her video, she opened up about her anxiety, saying, “Now I’ve been social distancing for actually a really long time, for probably two weeks now, and every little thing makes me crazy.” 

Tournaments as of right now canceled include Indian Wells, held in Palm Springs Desert, CA, and one of the four grand slams, the French Open, which has been postponed to September. Along with those, other tournaments, such as Monte Carlo and the Miami Open have been canceled as well. All of these tournaments fall in the Master category, meaning that the tournament is worth a total of 1000 points, and is a big deal. 

For some pros, the postponement of tournaments is positive. Roger Federer has been recovering with knee surgery and is glad to get some rest while not having to miss any major tournaments. Many pros have been active on social media, sending out positive comments and videos to their fans. 

ATP Tennis pro Bernard Tomic has quarantined himself in Miami after feeling unwell for the past week. He has all the symptoms but does not know when he will be tested. He told The Herald Sun that, “I already had shortness of breath and my immune system was low and run down. I’m currently in Miami and isolated away from everyone, as advised.” On March 12, Tomic said to the public, “people need to take this super seriously, especially at home in Australia.” Tomic doesn’t know how long he will be in isolation, or when he will be tested. 

As of right now, players are upset that tournaments have been canceled, but are hopeful that the circumstances of COVID-19 will get better so the tour can continue on.