SWFTK Dance Marathon

Students at the 2018 Dance Marathon

Students at the 2018 Dance Marathon

Angelica Rivera-Oliveira

On Friday, February 8th, South Windsor For The Kids (SWFTK) will be hosting a dance marathon in the cafeteria from 5pm to 9pm. Co-Presidents of the club, Julia Sarra and Kellie Ward, encourage you to attend the annual event in support of the young kids at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, which the club has been raising money for. There is normally a 200+ turnout and you will get to dance and bond with children from the medical center. On the night of the marathon, Sarra and Ward will announce the final amount of money that the club raised solely through fundraisers at local restaurants and canning outside of grocery stores. Their set goal for this year was $15,000 and last year they raised about $12,000.

Many students are excited to whip out their dancing shoes tonight and join everyone to celebrate and have fun. Alex Amoro, senior, exclaimed, “I love South Windsor For The Kids! It makes me so happy to see the kids have a good time and smile at the marathon.” But, it did take a lot of effort to become the largest club at SWHS with one of the most attended events of the school year. Co-President Kellie Ward stated, “My favorite part about being involved is seeing all of the hard work and time I’ve put into this organization pay off when we present our final total this Friday.”

Although SWFTK has a set number of members, the dance marathon will be welcome to students of all grades and ages at SWHS. There is a small fee at the door to get in, but Amoro says, “Everything is worth it when you see the smile on their faces.” Don’t hesitate to show off your moves in the cafeteria this Friday.