Student Athlete All-Conference and All-State Members

Dakota Skinner

Throughout the season, there is a group of student athletes that are chosen to receive All-Conference and All-State awards. These awards are given to athletes that exceed in their particular sport. Receiving this award is a great honor because it showcases the many hours of hard work and dedication these student athletes put into their season.

This year, senior, Mitchell Lyons, received both All-conference and All-state playing varsity soccer. When asked about how he felt about his honor, he said, “Getting All-conference and All-state was a big accomplishment because I have worked hard within the season to be where I am. It was an honor to get both conference and state my senior year, it shows that my work paid off and I’m grateful for the experience.” Mitchell also was awarded All-New England. He was not the only man from boys’ soccer to get conference and state. Senior, Hunter Pasqualini received All-conference and All-state, as well as seniors, Steven Futtner and Matthew Dion, receiving All-conference.

As for girls’ soccer, senior, Taylor Patitucci, obtained All-Conference as well for her tremendous play. She has had a tough journey throughout her career, having broken both her legs over her 4-year career. Due to this setback, this accomplishment was even more gratifying for her. She says that “After coming back from [my injury], it meant a lot that all the hard work I put in paid off. It was a great way to end my senior season.” In addition, juniors, Karly Supicich and Lindsay Fishman, received All-Conference beside Patitucci.

Field hockey senior, Olivia Porcello, earned All-Conference, saying “I put in a lot of hard work over the years in field hockey so it’s a cool recognition my senior year.” Senior, Maria Hanchuk and junior, Morgan Saylor received the honor as well. Fellow senior, Sarah Gallagher, obtained All-conference and 1st team All-State.

Girls’ volleyball as a team ended the season as conference division champs, but senior, Selena Guo, was the only senior to receive All-Conference, saying “It’s a verification that I have succeeded this season. Being an All-Conference athlete not only means that you performed well during games, but it also means that you put in a lot of hard work. I guess all my hard work paid off.” In addition to Guo, juniors, Jia Yazon and Riley Donahue, obtained All-Conference.

Girls’ swim and dive had four athletes take All-Conference honors. One of them was senior, Kellie Sartoris. When asked about the honor, she said “Getting All-Conference is a really cool experience. It represents all the hard work that you put into the sport which is really rewarding. I made All-Conference in the 400 free relay with Emma [Hapkiewicz], Alanna [Mawhinney], and Crystal [Arn-Hettrich] and I’m so proud of them. Everyone worked so hard this season and it definitely showed at championships.” Sartoris mentioned three other juniors who had gotten an All-Conference honor with her this year: Hapkiewicz in the 200m and 400m free relay, Mawhinney in the 100m, 500m, and 400m free relay, and Arn-Hettrich in the 400m free relay.

Football consisted of senior, Ronnie Pinkard, obtaining All-Conference saying, “It was a nice accomplishment to get 2 years in a row just because it was acknowledging the work I did in the off season. I wasn’t really shocked through because my preparation was focused on being the best player and teammate I could be.” Pinkard was not the only one from the team to be awarded All-Conference. Juniors, Tanner Kobrzycki and Mohamed Barry, also received All-Conference.

Throughout the year, SWHS hopes there will be more athletes added to the All-Conference list, but the school is beyond proud of the students who are being highlighted for the amazing hard work and dedication. Their effort the put into the sports is amazing and is something they should feel proud of. Being honored with an All-State or All-Conference title officially recognizes all of the work that each student has put on and off the field or court. Congratulations to the group of students that received these honors and good luck to the next section of athletes hoping to follow in their footsteps.