YouTuber James Charles is Making a Name for Himself

Source: Instagram

Source: Instagram

Jillian Thibodeau, Editor

James Dickinson, also known as ‘James Charles’ on social media, is a nineteen year old YouTuber that has blown up in the past couple years. He shares his love for makeup by posting makeup tutorials to YouTube, and posting the finished looks on Instagram as well. Since he created his YouTube channel in 2015, his subscriber count has increased to over ten million. With this being said, Charles has definitely made a name for himself.

Source: ABC News

Charles lived in New York when he started his channel, and makeup wasn’t something that he considered as a future career, he was just messing around with it and being creative. But as his channel continued to grow, so did his makeup techniques. After he graduated from high school in 2017, Charles decided to move to Los Angeles, California to take his career to the next level. 

However, in 2016, before he moved to Los Angeles, Charles became the first male spokesperson and brand ambassador for Covergirl. Covergirl is a popular and affordable makeup brand that is well known around the world. When Charles teamed up with Covergirl, he worked with celebrities like Zendaya and Katy Perry. This expanded his fanbase and made him more known across the country as well as around the world. 

James Charles announcing the release of his new palette in his YouTube video titled “James Charles X Morphe Reveal.” Source: CelebMix

Charles no longer works with Covergirl due to posting an offensive tweet about Ebola, but he has done many other things to put himself out there and to make a name for himself. He has continued making youtube videos, and recently, he has created a makeup palette. Charles partnered with the brand Morphe and made a palette that has a variety of 39 different colors in it. The palette came out in early November of this year, along with a makeup brush set that put together himself. Junior Melissa Sullivan, a fan of James Charles says,”I am a huge fan of makeup personally, and I would love to play around with all the color. If I bought his palette I would be able to expand on what I’m able to do.”

Charles’ career has quickly gained momentum and he has been very successful for his age. Also, people may believe that since he is a male that wears makeup, he is breaking barriers in society. Junior Elizabeth Malone mentions that,”Traditionally, girls have been the ones wearing makeup, but he was able to embrace the fact that he loves to wear it and he has built a beauty empire.”

With Charles’ name on his new palette and the palette being in stores, more people are going to become familiar with him. Since he has done so much with his career so far, it can only grow from here and his name will become more well known around the world.