Looking Forward to the Wrestling Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Looking Forward to the Wrestling Season

Olivia LaRosa

Wrestling is a tough sport to say the least but the team at SWHS is like one big family who hopes the make the most of this year’s season. The team is made up of boys from each grade and is also open to having girls on the team. Two years ago there was a female wrestler, Zoey Roland, who enjoyed being a part of the team very much. Since wrestling is a sport defined by one’s weight class, any male or female can choose to join and participate as long as they work hard. The smallest weight class is 106 pounds and the largest is 285 pounds with lots of them in between. The team is constantly looking for new people to join. In previous years, due to the team’s size they have not been able to fill every weight class which means some classes must be forfeited. With more people this problem could be fixed!

Junior, Jacob Chaimovitch, says “I’m excited for the season to begin to see all of my teammates, get back to work and back into the swing of things.” Chaimovitch is not the only one who is excited. Coach Knapp is excited to now be apart of the school than just being a coach as he is now an English teacher. Knapp says, “This will make it easier to have extra practices and be more in touch with his team.” Wrestlers have already begun practicing outside of the extra weight lifting sessions that have already started.

Each male and female comes into the season with a new goal to accomplish for not only themselves but for the team. Chaimovitch’s goals for this season are to “hopefully be on the varsity team and win all of my matches.” Knapp says, “the goals have always been the same: to work hard as a team, compete at a high level, working towards conference, titles, and winning states.”

The team has set their goals high and there’s no doubt that they can achieve them this year with hard work and determination. Come out this winter to watch the Bobcat Wrestling team take on different high schools on the mat.