Best Scary Movies for Halloween

Trevor Hoffman

As Halloween approaches, you may find yourself looking for a good scary movie to ring in the Halloween spirit. Some spooky favorites include these top four movies that will definitely cause you to jump out of your seat.

• The Conjuring

In The Conjuring, paranormal activity investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren go to the home of Carolyn and Roger Perron after they claim that the house they recently moved into is also inhabited by some other spiritual force that begins to wreak havoc on the Perron family. Variety Magazine writes that The Conjuring is “A sensationally entertaining old-school freakout and one of the smartest, most viscerally effective thrillers in recent memory.”

• Insidious

Josh and Renai Lambert realize that spiritual forces have possessed their son, Dalton, after he fell into a coma during an incident after falling from the attic of the house. In Insidious, the Lambert family realizes that they are surrounded by paranormal activity within their own home and they decide to pack up in move. But, once they move to their new house, they realize the paranormal activity has followed them in the form of Dalton, who is possessed by demons. Insidious includes a series of supernatural events that will definitely throw you for a loop.  

• Paranormal Activity – Film Series

The film series Paranormal Activity focuses in on Katie and Micah, two sister who are terrorized and haunted by demons that have a presence in their house. The sisters set up cameras around the home to try and capture the paranormal activity on footage. Owen Gleiberman, a critic from Entertainment Weekly says that “With its this-is-really-happening vibe, Paranormal Activity scrapes away 30 years of encrusted nightmare clichés. The fear is real, all right, because the fear is really in you.”

• The Ring

Another supernatural film, The Ring involves an urban legend that states if you watch a certain video tape, you will die seven days later. After teenage girl Katie watches the video, she dies a week later. Soon afterwards, her sister opens an  investigation into the death of Katie and her other friends who died on the same night she did. The movie takes a lot of twists and turns, making it full of spine-chilling suspense.