Thinking of Applying to an Ivy League School?

3 SWHS students get excited to go to the Ivies
Aasrith Veerapaneni
The 3 seniors representing South Windsor in the Ivy Leagues next year (made with Canva)

As many seniors finalize their plans for next year, three exceptional Bobcats from the class of 2024 look to soar to brand new heights. Seniors Advaith Satish, Rishabh Mohapatra, and Ryan Duong have all announced their commitments to schools in the coveted Ivy League (UPenn, Princeton, and Brown, respectively). Their dedication and hard work has paid off over the last 4 years, and they look forward to launching into the next part of their lives.

A future Quaker, Satish is eager to move through the ranks at the University of Pennsylvania, planning to major in Computer Science and Economics. 

UPenn provides flexibility to break into (a variety of fields) something very important to me since I’m still not 100% on what I want to do in my career,” he said when talking with The Prowl. 

Satish has made a name for himself at South Windsor High School, being a part of the community in a variety of ways, one of which is being a member of the award winning show choir, Choral Spectrum. Helping to lead the group to its first Grand Champion trophy in 6 years, he hopes to continue performing at UPenn as a part of its South Asian a cappella group, Penn Masala.

At the end of the day, Satish emphasized he wanted to be remembered for the relationships that he was able to build and harbor. 

Going about your college admissions process or your high school career attempting to craft your resume around ‘making an Ivy’ or ‘getting into a T20’ is the wrong mentality. Pursuing what makes you happy and fulfilled, regardless of whether it is what admissions officers ‘like’ to see in an applicant, is the right move.

— Advaith Satish

Ryan Duong, a future Brown student, shared some advice for the people who stress over their college applications and future. 

“Take it easy. Some people get so obsessed over college admissions they throw away their high school experience, only to be disappointed. Live life, have fun, do what you love, and try some new things. Colleges don’t want the best resumes. They want real people with real stories,” Duong said. 

Gaining acceptance to an Ivy League school is no small feat. It’s about being well-rounded, showing passion in specific areas of study, writing personal essays, and having good SAT scores. However, it’s essential to recognize that success is not confined to Ivy League.

With confirmed commitments across the country, other institutions offer outstanding programs and opportunities that can equally propel students toward successful careers and fulfilling lives. Institutions like Johns Hopkins, renowned for its medical research, Carnegie Mellon, celebrated for its engineering and technology programs, and Connecticut’s own UCONN all provide world-class education and resources.

As we celebrate the accomplishments of the class of 2024, we extend our warmest congratulations to every graduate. Whether heading to an Ivy League school, a public university, or any other paths forward, each student has shown resilience, determination, and excellence. We wish them all the best as they embark on their next adventures, confident that they will achieve great things wherever they go.

Congratulations Seniors!