Touring Career Opportunities for Students

SWHS’s annual Career Fair provides students with information about different careers.
 Representatives from various careers gathered to share their experiences with students.
Emily Porter

On Thursday, April 4th, SWHS held its annual Career Fair. The fair, which has been running since 2017, invites professionals from across Connecticut to present their careers to students. 

The fair is organized by school counseling and the Career Center. Both centers work together to aid students’ lives outside of high school, and the career fair is one of many ways they introduce opportunities to students at South Windsor High School. 

“I think the fair helps students realize how many choices they have and provides an alternative to a 4-year degree, which is not the right fit for everyone,” Mrs. Carty, coordinator of the Career Center, explained

At the fair, representatives from various careers gathered to share their experiences with students. They set up booths and handed out souvenirs, giving students valuable information about their post-high school experience. A diverse set of careers were invited to the fair, ranging from the US Air Force to local South Windsor businesses. 

Different military branches were present at the career hosted at SWHS. (Emily Porter)

“It was really lively and fun! I learned that there were many unique careers, and many people had different interests. The people volunteering to tell us about these things were really friendly,” sophomore Chelsea Pham commented . 

SWHS hopes the fair can reach students and give them ideas of what to do outside of high school. It provides the opportunity to expose students to various careers and make connections around town. 

“I learned about the types of jobs I could do after I graduate, and even jobs I could do while I’m in high school. I liked the atmosphere, and [the fair] felt beneficial,” sophomore Journee Ward said

The current format of the Career Fair has been successful for the past three years, and SWHS hopes to continue to host it for years to come.