Warmth of Spring

South Windsor High School students making their way to the main school from the annex for one of the last times before spring break.
Kaylee Turner

South Windsor Public Schools’ spring break is approaching quickly, starting on April 8th and ending Friday, April 12th and including the surrounding weekends.

This time of the year is always stressful for students, since March is a heavy project and test month in preparation for the last quarter. But, just as quarter 3 ends, the students of South Windsor get an extended time period to relax.  

Due to the recent cold snap, it may not feel like spring just yet. But that won’t stop students from enjoying their break thoroughly. South Windsor students participate in a variety of leisure activities during the spring vacation, such as sports, traveling, shopping and much more.

Many students use this time as an opportunity to catch up on shows or play video games: activities that they might not have time for during the busy school year.

“I am most likely just going to read in my spare time and hang out with my friends and family members,” junior Isabella Correnti explained to The Prowl

Others plan to use the break to prepare for the summer vacation that is slowly creeping up on the school district. Especially the current sophomore class, many of which are now of age to start part-time jobs. 

“I am going to start looking for summer jobs and begin applying for them while also watching movies I enjoy on repeat,” sophomore Leah Romaniw said.

Many juniors are grabbing at the chance to begin their college journey by visiting campuses, getting a head start on their senior year by beginning their path away from high school.

In addition to using the break to focus on stepping into their next chapter of life, students will also take this opportunity to spend time with their closest friends. 

I am going to go visit potential colleges and spend time with friends and family afterwards.

— junior Mya Romaniw

This is especially important for juniors, who have ample time left with their friends before they part ways at the end of the following school year.  

Traveling is important to many members of the school community, and during long periods of time off it is made one of their top priorities. 

“I am going to be going to Florida for about four or five days at the beginning of the break, and then for the last half of the break I’ll probably just be doing a lot of yard work and maybe go to see the Bobcats baseball,” social studies teacher Rich Mabey explained in an interview with The Prowl.

From students who are traveling across the country to students who are spending time in the comfort of their home, spring break is the chance for everyone to get a much needed breather.