Do You Care?

The Care Bags Project helps communities in need.
Hands on Hartford receives the care bags that South Windsor High School students have collected.
Vidyuth Srikanth

The Care Bags Project is a club started by South Windsor High School students, junior Vidyuth Srikanth and his mother Jisha Srikanth. This project strives to help different communities within Connecticut by collecting items such as toothpaste, gloves, socks, deodorant, hand warmers, and food and distributing them to individuals in need. 

The mother and son, Vidyuth and Jisha, took it upon themselves to create a project that would benefit less fortunate people in Connecticut. They hosted a donation drive at the South Windsor Community Center on Nevers Road, where they received a plethora of donations from South Windsor residents. When the project was completed, they distributed the bags throughout Hartford and other areas in Connecticut. 

Vidyuth wanted to start this project much earlier; however, the siblings met various challenges on their way to success. 

“A few years back we did something similar, but it was small and didn’t get much out. We only made like 10 ish bags,” Vidyuth told The Prowl.

This time around, the siblings were much more successful. They distributed over 125 bags to the Hands on Hartford nonprofit organization. Vidyuth was overjoyed with their successful outcome.

“We thought this was a great opportunity to give back to the community, especially at a time like winter,” Vidyuth said.

The Care Bags Project has been able to help various people and will continue to positively impact communities, and assist people in need. It is important for people to support this organization, as it continues to blossom. Simple acts of assistance, such as donating old clothing and other items, will go a long way for this young organization.

“If people were willing to donate more items or at least help with publicity then the projects would go a lot smoother and be better,” Jisha commented.

This organization is an example of how small, local actions have can a strong impact on the community.