The Formula for Success: Featuring Mrs. Powell

Mrs. Powell, South Windsor High School chemistry teacher standing in her classroom.
Avery Yelle

South Windsor High School’s AP chemistry teacher, Mrs. Powell, has been a teacher for 21 years. In that time, she has inspired her students to excel in not only the classroom but also in life.  

Following in the footsteps of her mother, an elementary school teacher, Powell has a love for chemistry.

During her years at UConn, Powell grew more passionate about chemistry. She recalled that her “Introduction to Chemistry” class was the deciding factor in her decision to pursue a career as a chemistry teacher.

Learning a lot from her mentor teacher who she now idolizes, she strives to prepare her students for college. 

I like chemistry the best because it is math and science together

— Mrs. Powell

“I want them to feel prepared when they go to college either academically or just learning good study habits and organization. I try to model those things for them so that they can continue doing that when they are older,” Powell explained.

Powell’s determination for her students to succeed is what leads to their high performance on the AP test, taken at the end of the year.

Also taking place at the end of the year, Powell’s students design ceiling tiles, unique to each class. Tiles made by past students decorate the ceiling of her classroom, serving as reminders of those who she has inspired before highlighting everything they learned, chemistry-related or otherwise.

• A Google Meet ceiling tile, symbolizing the 2021 year that took place during Covid.

• A ceiling tile that was made by Mrs. Powell’s 2022 class.

Before her current position as a teacher at South Windsor High School, Powell previously taught at Trumbull High School for 10 years. Outside of school, she dedicates her time to her family, traveling and learning French on Duolingo. 

In addition to teaching, Powell is the Chemical Hygiene Officer for the district. By managing the chemicals and running safety training, Powell ensures the safety of the students.  

Powell has been an active member of the SWHS community and will continue to inspire students in the years to come.