Cooking Club Shares the Art of Food

The diverse foods that were prepared and served by the many groups.
Kaylee Turner

On Thursday, February 22nd, Cooking Club members gathered after school to create and design a variety of different foods to represent the numerous celebrations that occurred throughout the month of February.

Members of the cooking club returned for the first time since 2023, coming together to create delicious treats to enjoy. There was an array of food both savory and sweet that was offered to all club members. The display spanned the gamut from foods such as Valentine’s cupcakes to a Super Bowl inspired charcuterie board.

Although this club revolves around the premise of cooking, many students come to enjoy their friends and the ability to socialize in a safe and productive environment.

I go to cooking to relax and make delicious food with friends

— junior Sarah Layaw

The fact that food is involved in this after-school club is merely the icing on top.

This club gives students a chance to participate in a mutually enjoyable activity with people who they have a special connections with. 

Led by Senora Ruiz, the cooking club allows students to share their food-associated interests with their companions and create bonds through their experiences.

“The cooking experience is fun. I love interacting with everyone and enjoying time with my friends,” junior Mya Romaniw explained.

This club also provides socialization opportunities for people who aren’t familiar with each other. It takes extensive amounts of work and cooperation to prepare food for everyone in a decent amount of time. Unexpected friendships are made with people they hadn’t known before the club. 

Creating shared moments with unfamiliar classmates and close friends can be very beneficial to the members of this club. They have numerous reasons for their continual participation in this club, but the primary shared purpose is the opportunity to be with their peers.

“I love my friends very much, so cooking with them is very special and important to me,” Romaniw told The Prowl.

Taking time to relax through activities such as preparing and serving food is important for any kind of student no matter what daily life entails. 

Cooking Club creates an environment where the expectations are manageable for every member, and students can go to relieve any excess stress through a shared activity.