A Fresh Perspective on Education

Julie Marks
Mitchell Marks on the night of the swearing-in ceremony for the Board of Education at South Windsor’s Town Hall.

On November 7th, 2023, South Windsor held a local election for the Board of Education, and with 2,914 votes, Democrat Mitchell Marks was elected as one of the 8 members of the Board, making him the youngest candidate to ever win the election. 

Marks is currently a student at UConn who is simultaneously adhering to his board duties and town responsibilities. Prior to his debut in politics, he was a student at South Windsor High School. 

“My journey began with a desire to bring a fresh perspective to educational policy,” said Marks.

With his background as a former student in the South Windsor School District, he has the benefit of having a unique insight into the issues at hand, and this helps him to be more passionate and intimately aware of his position on the board. 

“As a lifelong resident of South Windsor, I am deeply connected to our community,” said Marks. 

This deep connection is not only reflected in his dedication to his role as a board member, but also in his work as a liaison to the Energy Committee, and as the secretary for the Parks and Recreation Commission. 

My journey began with a desire to bring a fresh perspective to educational policy

— Mitchell Marks

However, Marks has acknowledged that his new role on the Board has been questioned due to the many duties he takes on for the South Windsor community and his age. At 19 years old, his age on the Board of Education seems to be a challenge, propelling Marks to continuously prove himself to his constituents. 

“My age and life experience were frequently questioned, compelling me to repeatedly prove my capability to serve our district and town. I sensed the need to exert extra effort to validate both myself and the valuable experiences that I could contribute as a Board member,” said Marks. 

Marks does not view his age as a disadvantage though, due to his ability to offer his fresh ideas that are beneficial to the students of South Windsor, being that he graduated only 2 years ago. Marks reflects representation to young voters, as well as young people interested in politics. He advocates for issues that are important to a younger demographic. 

Marks’ goals for the future of his political career in South Windsor is to continue to advocate for the younger generation, and bring his ideas and solutions to the table as an active member of the community. His message for students is clear: “Don’t let doubt impede your goals. Regardless of skepticism, prove your capabilities through hard work. Challenges are opportunities to showcase your resilience,” said Marks.