The True Meaning of Christmas

SWHS students share what is important to them this holiday season.

December 25th is right around the corner. The first snow, shelves overflowing with toys, holiday wish lists, light shows, and more, the holiday season is arguably one of the best times of the year. From spending time with family and friends, to showing appreciation to your loved ones, SWHS students were interviewed, and they shared what they believe Christmas is really about. Most people remember the origin of Christmas to be the birth of religious figure, Jesus Christ, and some continue to celebrate in that manner. However, over the years Christmas has clearly evolved into so much more.

Many students valued the importance of giving and receiving gifts during the holiday seasons. Senior Sage Rossetti explained how “[she] loves presents and opening them on Christmas morning!” Junior Catherine Downes agreed, and stated how she enjoyed, “being with my family and my friends, opening presents, eating good food and sharing love.” 

Editor-in-chief of the Bobcat Prowl, Max Schwartzman, also pointed out the idea of holiday gift-giving, but in a different sense. “Christmas has shifted to more of a consumerist holiday, it’s about buying and selling. But that’s important, it helps the economy, it’s good for businesses, and most importantly helps small businesses” said Schwartzman. 

Rather than presents, other students pointed out that they enjoy the entire holiday season, and the “fun and spirit” of Christmas, says junior Finn Jennings. Spending time with family and friends, and appreciating those who are important to you, is another important part of Christmas. Senior Bridget Carroll stated the three most important things about the holidays: “Family & friends, coming together, giving.” 

Senior Lou Macneil enjoys the “gift-giving, family and other social gatherings, symbolic decoration, feasting, and more,” during the holiday season.

Both senior Kaylie Guerrera and sophomore Samantha Drezek value “getting together with family.” 

Sophomore Julia Jaworski explained that, to her, Christmas is “putting up Christmas decorations with my family on Thanksgiving and finally being able to listen to Christmas music and watch Christmas movies.” She continued by stating that, “traditions that we do every year with family also mean a lot to me like making gingerbread houses and entering the Christmas light contest.” 

Other students value the more religious and traditional side of Christmas. By going to Christmas Eve mass, singing gospel, and donating to the church, junior Angelina Belizzi explained how her family celebrates, “the birth of [their] savior, Jesus Christ.”

Christmas means many different things to many different people. For some, Christmas is a religious and traditional holiday, for others, it’s simply about spending time with your loved ones, gift giving, eating good food, and decorations. Overall, the importance of Christmas is to appreciate those in your life whichever way you like. Most of all, it’s important to not forget kindness, especially those who don’t celebrate Christmas. Happy Holidays!