The 16th season of ABC’s, “The Bachelorette,” which was scheduled to begin filming on Friday, has been postponed in the midst of a coronavirus crisis. 38-year-old Clare Crowley, who is the oldest Bachelorette in the history of the reality dating show’s franchise, says that she is okay with that because “everyone’s health is the most important priority at this time.”
The Warner Bros. Television Group announced the halt of production on more than 70 series and pilots that are just now starting or scheduled to start soon, including “The Bachelorette.” They also announced in a statement, “There have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 on any of our productions, but the health and safety of our employees, casts and crews remain our top priority. During this time, we will continue to follow the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control as well as local officials and public health professionals in each city where our productions are based.”
Last Friday night, “The Bachelorette” host, Chris Harrison, confirmed the news. “It was not only the right thing to do. It was the only thing to do. But that doesn’t mean that this decision wasn’t hard to make,” says Harrison. Earlier this week, he said that the coronavirus was “100% affecting” planning for the upcoming season including nixing all international travel. After the delay, Crowley said in an Instagram post on Friday, “We are taking it day by day and even hour by hour as this is so unpredictable. All I know for sure is that my heart is so full from all the love and support this far, and I am still so excited for my journey to begin! I’ve waited 38 years for these moments, what’s a little bit longer, right!”
As of right now, the filming will be delayed by two weeks and then they will “reassess where we are in the world,” said Harrison. This season’s premiere date was set to be on Monday, May 18th and it is still unclear whether or not the delay will affect it.
Clare Crowley was introduced to the Bachelor nation at “After the Final Rose.”