Students React: Top 10 Christmas Songs

https://media.swncdn.com/cms/RT/44713-christmas-music-artisteer-facebook.800w.tn.jpg

Brianna Skaff, Editor

To many Americans, the month of December is “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.” There are a multitude of holidays, different drinks and food that become socially encouraged (hot chocolate, candy canes), but what a lot of people tend to look forward to the most are the Christmas songs. The list below contains the top 10 songs from the Billboard Holiday 100. This list is determined by how popular they have been over the years. The top 10 Christmas Songs as of 2018 are:

1. All I Want for Christmas is You: Mariah Carey
  2. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree: Brenda Lee
  3. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Andy Williams
  4. The Christmas Song: Nat King Cole
  5. A Holly Jolly Christmas: Burl Ives
  6. Last Christmas: Wham!
  7. Feliz Navidad: Jose Feliciano
  8. Jingle Bell Rock: Bobby Helms
  9. Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow: Dean Martin
  10. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Gene Autry

Before showing her the list, Amy Sapowadia believed that Jingle Bells was probably the most popular song “because I because I grew up hearing that song, so it’s stuck in my head for a while.” However, when told that ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ is the most popular, she wasn’t that surprised. She elaborated by saying “I think in recent years especially, people can listen to that song on the radio, just more often than older Christmas songs.” It has become one of the new classic songs of our generation. Cameron Isherwood agreed with Sapowadia, feigning her surprise. “Even though its a generally ‘new song’ compared to songs like ‘Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer’ that were in classic Christmas movies, many people use that song now to relate it back to Christmas because it’s the first song that people think of. It’s a well known song for this generation.”

On another note, there are people who agree with the list. Junior Elizabeth Poulin states, “Yes, I agree with the list, because those are the most common things on the radio and most people if you play those songs, will recognize them and they will be able to sing along.”

Whether these songs are catchy or just played too often is another question, but at least the Christmas spirit is still being passed around.